Guide to French Work Visas and Permits

August 5, 2016 Europe 5092 Views
Guide to French Work Visas and Permits


The French government offers its citizens and individuals willing to work in France a variety of operating permits that enables them to conduct businesses legally. Depending on the period you intend to reside in France and the type of job you plan to work on, the French work visas have their requirements and restrictions.


The France Visa regulations

All members of the EEA and EU nationals do not require a visa so as to enter France; all they need is a temporary work permit from their employers. The French government has put into place a diverse list of requirements, depending on whether an applicant intends to stay In France on a short-term or a long-term basis. All the candidates from Switzerland, New Zealand, Taiwan, Canada, Argentina, Malaysia and Israel, do not require a visa to stay in France.


Applying for a French work permit valid for less than three months

Applicants willing to work in France for less than 90 days are required to have a job permit, signed by the French Ministry of Labour, which is commonly known as the DIRECCTE. Unless the applicants are from the European Union countries, a short stay work visa is a mandatory document to have.


Applying for a French work permit valid for more than three months

If you have intentions to stay for more than 90 days in France, all you need to apply is a long term stay visa. While in France, the visa serves as your resident permit.

Applying for a long term stay work permit is not a hard task. First of all, the employer’s labour contract is sent to the DIRECCTE or the French Ministry of Labour. The DIRECCTE validates the application and sends to the France Immigration Commission. The Commission also approves the application and sends it to the French Embassy, where the applicant is issued with a visa.


The EU Blue Card

The French government checks on the applicants’ eligibility before issuing them with an EU blue card. To attain this card, an applicant must have a university degree which indicates that the applicant attended a higher level education. Also, the applicant must have an employment contract valid for more than a year.

The EU Blue Card is usually issued by the French consulates.

Image Credits

About author

Related articles